Word and Life — Fall, 2016
Stephen Dinan's Sacred America: Sacred World will be our Fall discussion book. Discounted ONLINE PRE-REGISTRATION is available now through Sept. 7. Complete the form below. Send no money. Bring your check for $85 to the first meeting on Sept. 8. If you provide your address below, there is a good chance that your book will be delivered by one of the Steering Committee members before Sept. 8, so that you can get a head start in reading. Regular registration starting Sept. 8 will be $95. All registrants will receive a copy of the book.
For the past few years, Word and Life has aptly described itself as "thoughtful Christians in search of mature faith." But for a growing number of our long-time members, Word and Life today has become something much broader and deeper: "a compassionate community for contemplative living and learning." Do either of these phrases describe you? If so, Word and Life welcomes you with open arms. Respecting the diversity of contemporary spiritual experience and dedicated to educating its members principally by reading and discussing books pertinent to theology and spirituality, Word and Life welcomes all who hunger and thirst for a deeper relationship with God and others. Study, dialogue, prayer, celebration and community enable us to experience God's Spirit alive in one another.
In the spirit of the Gospels, we support:
- Ongoing transformation of the Church in dialogue with an ever-changing world
- Exploration of God’s immanent Presence in creation
- Dialogue with other disciplines, cultures, and faith traditions in a spirit of appreciation and cooperation
- Living in harmony with the earth and all life as gifts from God
We are committed to these core principles:
- The teaching of Jesus is central to our lives.
- Healthy spirituality assumes an ongoing dialogue between my story, our story, and God’s story.
- Hospitality is a "Gospel" or core value of our community.
- The collective wisdom of the community depends on the contributions of every member.
- Justice is essential in cultivating peace.
- All of creation participates in and manifests the divine.
- Prayer animates and sustains our spiritual lives.
- Worship and Ritual are important expressions of our collective identity.
Would you like to see and hear more?
If you are an adult with an inquisitive mind, open to the deeper values of spirituality found in the Christian or Catholic tradition (regardless of your current church affiliation or possible degree of alienation), and willing to consider and discuss some of the most challenging questions that we humans face, please consider coming as an observer to a Word and Life meeting. Kindly check the CALENDAR & RECORDINGS Link to see when and where our next meeting will be. The DIRECTIONS tab explains how to get to our usual meeting venue. You are welcome to come and see for yourself how the Spirit is working in our lives. If you would like a member of Word and Life to contact you in advance to answer any questions you may have, please e-mail anyone on our Steering Committee, listed on the CONTACT page.